Adding beans to this meat chili helps to lower the fat and cholesterol in each serving.
- 2 lb lean beef stew meat (trimmed of fat), cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 C water
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 lb tomatoes, chopped (3 C)
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 C canned kidney beans*
- Brown meat in a large skillet with half of vegetable oil. Add water. Simmer covered for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in second skillet. Add garlic and onion and cook over low heat until onion is softened.
- Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Add the garlic-onion-flour mixture to the cooked meat. Then add the remaining ingredients to the meat mixture. Simmer 1/2 hour.
Nutritional Analysis – Per serving
Total fat: 10 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 65 mg
Sodium: 159 mg*
* To cut back on sodium, try using “no salt added” canned kidney beans, or use beans prepared at home without salt.