This classic family favorite is made healthier with lean ground turkey and colorful garden vegetables.
- 2 C assorted vegetables, chopped—such as mushrooms, zucchini, red bell peppers, or spinach (Leftover Friendly)
- 12 oz – 99 percent lean ground turkey
- ½ C – whole-wheat breadcrumbs (or substitute regular breadcrumbs)
- ¼ C – fat-free evaporated milk*
- ¼ tsp – ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp – ketchup
- 1 Tbsp – fresh chives, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp – fresh parsley, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Steam or lightly sauté the assortment of vegetables.
- Combine vegetables and the rest of the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, and spread meatloaf mixture evenly in the pan.
- Combine all ingredients for glaze. Brush glaze on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake meatloaf in the oven for 45–50 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 ºF).
- Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into eight even slices.
- Serve two slices on each plate.
Tip: For picky eaters, try chopping vegetables in a food processor to make them smaller (and “hidden”).
* Evaporated milk can be kept tightly sealed in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Prep time – 10 minutes
cook time: 50–55 minutes
yield – 4 servings
serving size – 2 slices meatloaf
each serving provides:
- calories 180
- total fat 2 g
- saturated fat 0 g
- cholesterol 34 mg
- sodium 368 mg
- total fiber 2 g
- protein 25 g
- carbohydrates 17 g
- potassium 406 mg
- vitamin A 50%
- vitamin C 15%
- calcium 10%
- iron 15%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Recipe provided by Keep the Beat ™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals