Grilled Eggplant Panini
Grilled eggplant is one of life’s simpler pleasures: creamy and rich. Look for medium-size, purple eggplants with firm skins and no mushy spots. This end-of-summer treat will be even tastier if you can find the vegetables at a local farmstand—or in your own backyard!
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 1/2-inch slices eggplant, (about 1 small)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 slices whole-grain country bread
- 8 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 4 thin slices red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
- Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more. Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread. Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm.
Per serving: 337 calories; 16 g fat ( 6 g sat , 6 g mono ); 22 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Selenium (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).