This baked French toast is fluffy and moist from absorbing a creamy milk, maple syrup, and egg mixture overnight.
- 12 (3/4-inch-thick) slices French or challah bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup, plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Fresh fruit
Active Time: 15 min
Total Time: 50 min (plus overnight refrigeration)
- Arrange bread in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt. Pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Turn slices over once or twice to be sure they’re evenly coated with egg mixture.
- In the morning, bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for 20 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Pop under broiler to brown, if desired. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup.
Serves: 6. Per Serving: 480 calories, 65g carbs, 18g protein, 16g fat, 215mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 2g fiber