- Olive oil spray
- 1 1 1/2-pound eye-of-round roast, all visible fat discarded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free all-purpose seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 10.75-ounce can tomato puree
- 10 ounces eggplant, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 5 medium Italian plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium ribs of celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning, crumbled
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium dried bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 8 ounces dried whole-grain pasta
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a Dutch oven with olive oil spray.
- Sprinkle the roast with the seasoning blend and pepper.
- Heat the Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the roast for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the pasta.
- Bake, covered, for about 2 hours, or until the roast is very tender when tested with a fork.
- Shortly before the roast is done, prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander.
- Transfer the roast to a cutting board. Cover with aluminum foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing very thinly across the grain, then slicing into thin strips. Discard the bay leaf from the sauce.
- Spoon the pasta onto plates. Arrange the roast slices on the pasta. Top with the sauce.
Nutritional Analysis – Per serving
Calories Per Serving -245
Total Fat – 2.5 g
Saturated Fat – 1.0 g
Trans Fat – 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat – 0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat – 1.0 g
Cholesterol – 36 mg
Sodium – 55 mg
Carbohydrates – 31 g
Fiber – 6 g
Sugar – 7 g
Protein – 24 g
1½ starch, 2 vegetable, 2½ very lean meat
This recipe is from the New American Heart Association Cookbook.