Quinoa-stuffed acorn squash
If you can boil water and cut a squash in half – you can make this easy recipe. Add this quinoa-stuffed acorn squash to your dinner menu to serve your vegetarian or vegan guests – they’ll love it!
- 2 acorn squash
- approximately 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup candied or regular pecans
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice acorn squash in half and remove the seeds. Spread a bit of vegan margarine on the inside of the squash, then place on a baking sheet, cut-side down, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until soft.
- Simmer quinoa, covered, in vegetable broth or water for 12-14 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Add diced onion during the final 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove quinoa from heat and mix in the raisins, pecans, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and optional nutritional yeast. Season generously with sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.
- Divide the quinoa stuffing amongst the four squash halves, gently spooning in.