Roasting bottled chestnuts brings back fresh-toasted flavor.
Amount per serving
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 27.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 364mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 3 Cups whole roasted bottled chestnuts
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place chestnuts on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Place chestnuts in a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Combine onion, carrot, and oil on pan; toss to coat vegetables. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add to chestnuts; stir in broth. Pour half of broth mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a Dutch oven. Repeat procedure with remaining broth mixture. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place pan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place cream in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Ladle about 3/4 cup soup into each of 10 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately.