Sweet & Sour Cabbage Rolls
Lean ground turkey and brown rice seasoned with fresh dill and caraway seeds makes a moist filling for these stuffed cabbage rolls. They’re baked in a combination of tomato sauce, lemon juice and honey for the familiar sweet-and-sour flavor typical of the dish.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 large Savoy cabbage, (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the water is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a Dutch oven full of water to a boil over high heat. Boil the 12 largest outer cabbage leaves for 6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool water until room temperature. Chop enough of the remaining cabbage to equal 2 cups. (Save the rest for another use.)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and the chopped cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add 4 tablespoons lemon juice; cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix turkey, dill, caraway, salt, pepper, the onion mixture and cooled rice in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Lay one cabbage leaf on your work surface; cut out the thick stem. Place about 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture in the leaf’s center. Fold the sides over the filling, then roll closed. Place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling. Whisk tomato sauce, broth, honey and the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a medium bowl. Pour evenly over the rolls. Cover the pan tightly with foil.
- Bake the cabbage rolls for 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking, basting the rolls with sauce several times, for 20 minutes more.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 6; refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month. If frozen, defrost overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
Per serving: 272 calories; 8 g fat ( 2 g sat , 2 g mono ); 44 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 7 g fiber; 318 mg sodium; 640 mg potassium.