A serving of this dish contains only 10 carbohydrates. Simple substitutes like veggie sausage, reduced-fat cheese, and egg whites also cut back on unhealthy saturated fat. Fritattas are a good way to get a variety of nutrients. Eggs and cheese are a great source of calcium and protein. Mix in veggies to get an antioxidant kick as well as fiber. Fat-free cheese is a healthy alternative, especially because there is fat in the eggs and sausage.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 11 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 wedges)
- Cooking spray
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 4 (1.3-ounce) frozen vegetable protein sausage patties, thawed and crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- Place a 12-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chopped bell pepper and mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes. Add sausage, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 1 minute.
- Combine egg substitute and half-and-half; carefully pour over sausage mixture. Cover and cook 6 minutes. (Frittata will be slightly moist on top.) Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Calories per serving: 184
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat per serving: 5.9g
- Saturated fat per serving: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat per serving: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat per serving: 1.4g
- Protein per serving: 21g
- Carbohydrates per serving: 10.4g
- Fiber per serving: 3.2g
- Cholesterol per serving: 11mg
- Iron per serving: 3.7mg
- Sodium per serving: 588mg
- Calcium per serving: 154mg