This recipe for zucchini lasagna will get your taste buds jumping and it is heart healthy!
Makes 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 piece
- 1/2 pound cooked lasagna noodles, cooked in unsalted water
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 11/2 cups cottage cheese,* fat-free
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 11/2 cups raw zucchini, sliced
- 21/2 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- 2 tsp basil, dried
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly spray a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/8 cup mozzarella and 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese with all the cottage cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce with remaining ingredients. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Add a third of the noodles in a single layer. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture on top. Add a layer of zucchini.
- Repeat layering. Add a thin coating of sauce. Top with noodles, sauce, and reserved cheese mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into 6 portions.
- Calories 200
- Total Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 12mg
- Sodium 368mg
- Protein 15g
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Calcium 310mg
- Magnesium 46mg
- Potassium 593mg
- Fiber 3g
To reduce sodium, use low-sodium cottage cheese. New sodium content for each serving is 165mg.
Recipe provided by NHLBI