Get Into the Great Outdoors
A wonderful part of living in New England is enjoying outside activities especially during the winter months. Participating in outdoor activities in our beautiful winter wonderland can make the short, cold days of winter fly by, help keep you fit and can even help boost your mood.
Top Five Benefits of Outdoor Recreation
Getting outside to enjoy a beautiful day isn’t a personal indulgence. It’s a good idea.
- Good for the mind. Outdoor recreation has psychological benefits, including the prevention or reduction of stress; improved self-esteem, confidence and creativity; spiritual growth; and an increased sense of exhilaration, adventure and challenge from life.
- Good for the body. Getting outside provides physical benefits, such as aerobic, cardiovascular and muscular fitness, as well as improved functioning of the immune system.
- Even better for your social life. The great outdoors afford social benefits like bonding with like-minded people who enjoy outdoor activities and feeling an increased pride in your community and nation.
- Good for the economy. Outdoor recreation pays off with economic benefits too: People who regularly participate in outdoor recreation tend to be more productive at work. Outdoor recreation creates job opportunities for others, which leads to economic growth. And the preservation of the natural areas needed for outdoor recreation increases property values.
- Great for the great outdoors. Outdoor recreation provides environmental benefits, including increased environmental awareness. Concern that results from outdoor recreation can lead to increased involvement in environmental issues.
There are many ways to enjoy the outdoors in the winter. Skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and skating are some more active ways. Building a snowman or igloo, having a snowball fight or making snow angels are all fun activities that get you and your family outside enjoying the weather.
As with any exercise or activity it helps to be prepared. If you are planning on participating in active winter sports there are many things you can do to prevent injuries. Simple things like knowing the weather conditions and dressing appropriately can make your outdoor time much more enjoyable.
Children can especially benefit from spending time participating in outdoor recreational activities in the winter months. But you should remember that children aren’t just small adults and adhering to some safety tips for kids is important.