Brattleboro Memorial Hospital is a patient-centered organization committed to treating all patients equitably, with dignity and respect regardless of the patient’s health care insurance benefits or financial resources.
Brattleboro Memorial Hospital’s Financial Assistance program is designed to assist those patients who are either uninsured, under insured or have limited financial resources that impact their ability to fully pay for their hospital care. When making application for Financial Assistance, patients are first asked to investigate whether or not they may be eligible for Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans’ Benefits or other governmental or public assistance programs.
A. Qualifications for Free Care:
- Financial Assistance is limited to medically necessary services. Patients receiving certain elective services, such as those considered cosmetic, investigational or experimental, are expected to make payment arrangements in advance, as these types of services are not eligible for Financial Assistance;
- Patients’ family income must be at or below 350% of the current Federal Poverty Income Guidelines (FPG) for their family size. Financial Assistance is granted at 100% of eligible balances for income at or below 250% of FPG, 75% for income between 250% and 300% of FPG, and 50% for income between 300% and 350% of FPG;
- Patients or their guarantors must complete a Financial Assistance application and provide the hospital with verification of income. Responsible parties may be asked to disclose the identity and amounts of any assets that could be used to pay for medical expenses. NOTE: Income verification may be waived at the discretion of the Director of Patient Financial Services, particularly in those instances in which patients have subsequently qualified for Medicaid, or are deceased, with no estate;
- Financial Assistance applications will be processed within two weeks of the date of their receipt in our Business Office;
- Financial Assistance applies only to those patient accounts still in active Accounts Receivable; no Financial Assistance allowance may be applied against accounts that have been forwarded to a collection agency as Bad Debt.
B. Patients will be notified in writing of their approval or denial status within 30 days of the date of receipt of the application and any required supporting documentation. All accounts written off to Financial Assistance must be approved by the Director of Patient Financial Services or the Vice-President of Finance.
To be considered or if you have questions regarding our financial assistance programs, please contact our Patient Financial Services office at 802-257-8240, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Brattleboro Memorial Hospital
Patient Financial Services
17 Belmont Avenue
Brattleboro, VT 05301