Meatless meals will be so tasty when these hearty bean burgers are on the menu. Guacamole and sour cream make it seem decadent.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
MAKES: 4 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 small tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Reduced-fat sour cream and guacamole, optional
- Place beans in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, tomato, jalapeno, egg, cilantro and garlic. Mix until combined. Shape into four patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in oil in batches over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on buns. Top with sour cream and guacamole if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Source: Taste of Home