STAR Program® in Oncology Rehabilitation at BMH!
For appointments or additional information, call 802-257-8255. A provider referral is needed before therapies can begin.
We are committed to bringing you the highest level of survivorship services.
- In recent years, there has been much talk about creating survivorship as a distinct phase of cancer care and providing each patient with a survivorship care plan. At Brattleboro Memorial Hospital we are committed to offering the best available survivorship services. This is why we have implemented the STAR Program® that includes training our staff in the latest oncology rehab care and implementing research based protocols that have been proven to help cancer survivors optimally heal and function.
We offer comprehensive care that is covered by health insurance.
- We are uniquely qualified to offer premium oncology rehabilitation services to cancer survivors undergoing treatment or living with its aftermath. Our program has been created to help survivors physically and emotionally heal from the side-effects of treatments. We provide our patients with the most comprehensive rehabilitation care available and all of our services are reimbursable by health insurance providers. Having access to world-class follow up care, without added medical costs, will allow survivors to regain their health and get their lives back on track.
We are committed to helping you reach optimal recovery.
- A cancer diagnosis can be traumatic, and so can life-saving treatments. Chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery can harm health and cause serious medical problems that interfere with daily function and well-being. Survivors are commonly plagued with symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, insomnia, memory loss, fear, anxiety and depression. BMH STAR Program® offers important physical and psychological rehabilitation to survivors so they can recover more quickly and more completely than they would otherwise. Feeling well and being able to resume normal day-to-day activities is essential to enjoying a good quality of life for survivors and their families.
Whether you’re newly diagnosed or long finished with treatment, we can help.
- We serve all survivors in need, whether they are beginning treatment, finished with treatment, or experiencing late effects or unresolved issues from long-ago treatment. Our program is open to everyone no matter the prognosis, cancer stage or phase of recovery. Newly diagnosed patients may want to increase their strength and endurance and prevent future medical problems; survivors living with cancer as a chronic disease may come to us for help managing treatment-related conditions; and individuals who are cured or in remission may enroll in our program with the goal of boosting their immune systems so that they can heal as well as possible.
Our highly trained medical staff awaits you.
- Our rehabilitation care, based on conventional medicine, is offered to patients by a knowledgeable and sensitive medical staff, specially trained to treat survivors of all forms of cancer. They are medical experts at the top of their fields and comprise a variety of disciplines:
- physical therapists
- occupational therapists
- speech and swallowing therapists
- registered dieticians and nutritionists
When evaluating your needs we look at the “big picture”.
- Rather than using a “problem-oriented” approach and tackle each health issue as it arises, we address the full spectrum of post-cancer care. When evaluating a patient, in addition to focusing on his or her health conditions and symptoms, we take into consideration: diet, sleep issues, existing pain, endurance, strength, exercise habits and emotional outlook. All of these factors have an important effect on physical healing.
We offer you a personalized rehab plan with an interdisciplinary approach.
- After undergoing a thorough evaluation by a physician, a “team” of medical specialists are assigned to each patient according to his or her individual needs. The healthcare “team” creates a personalized rehabilitation plan, with the goals of increasing strength and energy, alleviating pain, improving physical functioning, achieving emotional balance and boosting the immune system. Each team member provides his or her expert medical guidance, training, encouragement and support, for the duration of the program.
We are proud to be STAR Program® Certified.
- We received our STAR Program® Certification from Massachusetts-based Oncology Rehab Partners (ORP), whose unparalleled development, training and support products in oncology rehabilitation give healthcare facilities the capacity to offer quality survivorship care to their patients. Brattleboro Memorial Hospital STAR Program® successfully executed Oncology Rehab Partners’ evaluation and treatment procedures, and our medical staff underwent rigorous rehabilitation training by oncology experts.