Toss together this simple sauce in a roasting pan and crank the heat. Boil the pasta. When the pasta is ready, your sauce is done. This recipe is for two.
- 1/2 1-lb. package of brown rice linguini or spaghetti
- A fistful of thin, baby spring asparagus, trimmed, sliced diagonal
- 1 pint organic grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 leek, sliced thin
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded, diced fine
- 4 good sized cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons dark or golden raisins
- 1/4 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- A good pinch of hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Bring a large pot of fresh salted water to a rolling boil.
- Meanwhile, throw all the sauce ingredients into a 10×13-inch roasting pan and stir to coat. Place the pan in the oven, near the top.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, stirring every so often, until it is al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, keep an eye on the sauce and stir it now and then. Do not overcook the asparagus – they are best tender-crisp.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Pull the roasting pan out of the oven.
- Add the cooked pasta into the pan and toss gently to coat the strands with olive oil.
- Serve in warmed shallow bowls.
Cook time: 20 min
Yield: Serves 2