Our state-of-the-art imaging includes:
- Digital mammography uses computers and specially designed digital detectors to produce an image that can be displayed on a high resolution computer monitor. When reading the results of a digital mammogram, the radiologist is better able to manipulate the image on the computer to see through the breast more clearly. Digital mammography feels identical to conventional screening from a patient’s perspective, though women may notice shorter exam times and a reduction in return visits to obtain additional imaging. More on Digital Mammography.
- Breast MRI
- Breast ultrasound, also known as sonography or ultrasonography, is frequently used by Brattleboro Memorial Hospital physicians to evaluate breast abnormalities that are found with screening or diagnostic mammography or during a physician-performed clinical breast exam. The ultrasound is a procedure in which high-energy sound waves are bounced off internal tissues or organs and make echoes. The echo patterns are shown on the screen of an ultrasound machine, forming a picture of body tissues. Ultrasound is excellent at imaging cysts: round, fluid-filled, pockets inside the breast. Additionally, ultrasound can often quickly determine if a suspicious area is in fact a cyst or an increased density of solid tissue which may require a biopsy to determine if it is malignant (cancerous). More on ultrasounds.
- Brattleboro Memorial Hospital works with United Medical Services to provide state-of-the–art stereotactic breast biopsy. Stereotactic biopsy is used to take tiny samples of your breast tissue that can be studied under a microscope. During this procedure, a mammogram-like X-ray helps find the tissue to be removed. Stereotactic biopsy may prevent the need for an open surgical biopsy. Open biopsy is done by taking samples of tissue through an incision made in the skin. More on stereotactic biopsy.
- Your bone density can be safely, accurately and painlessly measured at Brattleboro Memorial Hospital’s bone density suite. Our Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry measures bone density and the mineral content of bone. Unlike typical x-rays , radiation exposure during bone densitometry is extremely low. The entire process takes only minutes to complete. It involves no injections or invasive procedures, and patients remain fully clothed. More on bone density.
For those services not available locally, the BMH Breast Care Program will help refer and coordinate additional care. Breast Care Program Administrator/Nurse Navigator, Kelly McCue, DNP, RN is available to assist with all of our breast patients’ needs. The Medical Director of the Program is BMH general surgeon, Joseph Rosen, MD, whose subspecialty is breast surgery.
Along with breast self-exams and visiting a doctor, mammograms are a crucial component of proactive breast care. And at BMH, we work hard to make getting a mammogram easier and faster.
- Mammography – BMH offers comprehensive screening and diagnostic mammograms, breast ultrasounds, breast MRI and other breast imaging procedures. To schedule a screening, call 802-251-8431.
Can’t Afford a Mammogram? If you’re 40 or older, and you’ve been putting off your regular mammogram due to your finance, think again. Early detection of breast cancer saves lives-maybe even yours. And you could qualify for financial help. Call Ladies First toll free at 800-508-2222 or Let No Woman be Overlooked in NH at 800-852-3345 for assistance. If you qualify, your next mammogram could be free!
Because we understand how scary it is to discover the possibility of breast cancer, we offer same-day diagnostic mammography as well as a full range of other diagnostic services. Our mission is to give every woman the support she needs during this time of uncertainty.
Diagnostic services – Our staff is fully trained in diagnostic mammography and breast ultrasound. And we offer the latest in diagnostic services including:
- Stereotactic core needle biopsies
- Breast MRI
- Sentinel lymph node biopsies
- Cyst aspiration
- Ultrasound core biopsies
Our surgery suites feature state-of-the-art equipment, facilities and staff. This experience and commitment enable the medical staff to offer a full range of breast surgical procedures.
If radiation is part of the treatment plan, we work with Cheshire Medical Center in Keene, NH.