Check out this great Simple Cooking with Heart, Southwestern slow cooker recipe that your family is sure to love!
- Serves 6
- 113 Calories
- 288 mg Sodium
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional and variable depending on how spicy you like your chicken!)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins, all visible fat discarded
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-3 oz. canned green chilies
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- In a small bowl, stir together chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper (optional).
- Place chicken in slow cooker and sprinkle half of seasoning mixture over chicken. Flip with a fork and sprinkle other half of seasoning mixture over chicken.
- Pour tomatoes, chilies and chicken broth over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook over low setting for 8-10 hours, or over high setting for 3-4 hours. Chicken make break apart easily with fork once cooked.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.